The name Calstone is thought to represent Calne East Tun, meaning that it was colonised from Calne. Calstone was likely to have been part of the large royal estate of Calne back in the 10th century but by the time the Normans invaded in 1066 most of the estate had been granted away from the Crown as a series of smaller estates. In about 1600, the small manor of Calstone was given the name Calstone Wellington, the 'Wellington' represents the family name of the Lords of the manor during the 13th and 14th centuries and were grantees of Devizes Castle.
There was a church in Calstone as early as 1301 but the present day St Mary's church was rebuilt in the 15th century of stone rubble and ashlar. The timber roofs of the porch and nave also date from the same period. A west gallery was added in the 18th century and in 1884 - 1885 the church was extensively restored with the vestry being added at that time and the narrow windows of the nave and chancel being replaced with much larger ones. The gallery was also removed during this process.
Please take a tour round this most pictureseque of churches by clicking on the You Tube link below.
Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved ·
Site Designed and Maintained by Manor Cottage Studios